Sunday, July 5, 2009

Never mind miseries. Let me chant Hare Krsna

Never mind miseries. Let me chant Hare Krsna


Madhavananda brought up another point: ''Srila Prabhupada, once you said that to stop transmigration, one has to become completely disgusted with the material world."

When Prabhupada confirmed it, Satsvarupa Maharaja asked, "What about Lord Caitanya's prayer that 'I don't mind coming back again and again?'"

"That is a devotee's sincerity," Prabhupada clarified, "that he does not go to Krsna for some material profit. In any condition, he is Krsna conscious. That is his humbleness. An actual devotee does not want it, but it happens; otherwise, how is it that Krsna says janma karma ca me divyam? It will take place automatically. But he is not very concerned that 'I must go to Krsna and be saved from these material miseries.' A devotee never says like that. He wants that 'Never mind miseries. Let me chant Hare Krsna.' That is his position."

Satsvarupa Maharaja added that for the devotee, the perfection is to be absorbed in preaching to others, not thinking, 'I want to go and play with Krsna.' Prabhupada agreed and explained unconditional devotional service: "A devotee does not bargain with Krsna: 'Krsna will give me this benefit; therefore I want to become a pure devotee.' That is a merchant: 'You pay me this price; I will deliver this clothing.' That is not devotion. Aslisya va pada-r atam pinastu mam marma-hatam karotu va: In any condition, I am your slave. Whatever You like, you can do with me. That is the sign. Not that 'If it is favorable to my idea, then I accept You.' That is not devotion. Anyabhilasita sunyam: no desire. Only 'Please accept me as Your eternal servant again.' Bhaktivinoda Thakura sings, marobhi rakobhi jo iccha tohara: 'Now, if You like, You can kill me. If You like, You can keep me. Whatever You like, I am prepared.' Marobhi rakobhi jo iccha tohara. That is surrender."

- From the "Srila Prabhupada and His Disciples in Germany" by HG Vedavyasa dasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithinn

Blog Widget by LinkWithin